On the joint Project to establish the Museum – Memorial Site in the area of the former German-Nazi extermination camp in Sobibor agreed four countries:
- Poland – Ministry of Culture and National Heritage of the Republic of Poland
- Kingdom of Netherlands – Department of Victims and Remembrance WWII at the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport
- Israel – Government of State of Israel represented by the Chief of the Yad Vashem Institute
- Slovakia – Directorate of Human Rights and Equal Treatment at the Office of the Government of the Slovak Republic
Representatives of the individual states (which area participants of the project) build the International Steering Group.
The Steering Group is led by:
- Jarosław Sellin – the Secretary of State at the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage of the Republic of Poland
Members of the Steering Group:
- Marcel Floor – Head of Department of Victims and Remembrance WWII at the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport of the Kingdom of the Netherlands
- Avner Shalev – Chairman of the Yad Vashem Directorate of The Holocaust Martyrs’ and Heroes’ Remembrance Authority
- Barbara Illkova – Secretary of the Council of the Slovak Government for Human Rights, Minorities and Gender Equality, Head of the Directorate for Legal and Consular Affairs
The advisors of the Steering Group are the Chief Rabbi of Poland and the Foundation for Polish-German Reconciliation (project implementer).